Saturday, January 9, 2010

Getting Ready

Now I'm getting excited. I finally have my visa stamped in my passport (that was a bit of a nightmare), I'm washing my clothes, and today will start laying everything out to pack. It will have to fit in with two full work days. This afternoon I need to finish preparing for tonight's and tomorrow's worship services. One tonight, two tomorrow. As we remember the baptism of Jesus, we also remember our own baptism. We have the chancel decorated, with a "stream" running down from the baptismal font, over the altar, and into a bowl - which we will use as everyone comes forward to remember their baptism. Dipping my hand into the water, I will mark their foreheads with a cross. With this ritual, we mark the end of the Christmas season and the entry into the time after epiphany. As this season ends and Lent begins (in 5 weeks), we will mark it with another cross on their foreheads - this time with ashes. Thus is the manger and cross tied together in our being - through baptism.

At 2:00 p.m. tomorrow, we have an Epiphany Ministry Celebration with Potluck Finger Food! That's a mouthful. Everyone is invited to come and give their year end reports - but they cannot be boring, read reports. Each committee and ministry work area has been invited to create a creative, short presentation as a report. Dance, drama, song, rap - even a fashion show is in the offering. It should be fun.

Probably home by 4:00, to finish packing and preparing. Then we leave for the airport sometime after 9:00 p.m. My flight leaves out at 12:50 a.m. Monday morning. 13 hours to Taipei, 3 hour layover, 3 hours to Hanoi, to arrive shortly before noon on Tuesday their time. Dashal is to pick me up at the airport.

I covet all of your prayers for a safe journey. I will return on the 26th of January. I will keep you posted on the journey. Blessings!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear all about your adventure! Maybe it will inspire Dashal to write - we love reading her writings!

    We will be praying for safety in your travels but full of stories to share! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe, wonderful journey! I'll have to get out my maps, launch Google Earth & associated pictures, & travel alongside. Be a good guest, eat well, learn much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a wonderful trip! I look forward to following your journey here -
    Cathy B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait, mom! I'm cleaning the house and trying to talk the powers that be into giving us a sunny day here. I hope you're ready for soup, traffic and lots of green tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting!
    I think this blog is a great idea. Please keep it updated the best you can.
    I find that an Ambian about 3 hours after departure will make the journey much easier.
    Love you sweetie, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
    Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete